Easy Peasy Rice Pudding/ Cereal


If you've never made or tried this delicious comfort food you have been MISSING OUT!!!  I remember the first time my mom made it
when I was a kid and I thought she was nuts, I mean who wants rice sweet and the texture didn't appeal to me at all but since the rule in her house and mine was that you had to try at least one bite of everything I squeezed my eyes shut and took a small bite with the anticipation of gagging.  It didn't happen, instead I was happily surprised to find that it was not only good but that it was instantly one of my favorites.  Creamy, sweet, warm, comforting, it just doesn't get much better.

So, how do you make this treat do you ask?  You only need four ingredients for a basic one and the difference between cereal and pudding is just in the amount of milk you add and how long you cook it.

Basic Rice Pudding
1 part cooked rice, short grain is best but any will do
1 part milk, I used almond milk and didn't notice any difference
1/2 part sugar, this is to taste so it's approx.
Cinnamon to taste

Throw it all together in a pot and heat it up, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken.  For cereal add a bit more milk and just heat it until it's nice and steamy.


Little bit fancier Rice Custard

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups milk
2/3-1 cup sugar
1 egg
cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to taste
(all amounts are approximate)

This time be sure to heat it up a bit slowly and stir in the egg well when it's still cold so you don't end up with scrambled eggs in rice, keep stirring until thickened.  YUMMY!!!!

This makes for a great breakfast, dessert, and comfort snack any time, so make some today, I'm sure you won't regret it.

No comments: