Kids Are Like a Magnifying Glass


This has been coming up for me a lot lately in one form or another so I thought I'd share something that I wish someone had told me before I had kids.  Kids are like having a BIG FAT magnifying glass on the world, your life and especially your relationship with your significant other!!!!!!!

All of us parents see the world differently once we bring that little bundle of joy home, colors are brighter, new dangers seem to creep up all over the place, the simple act of folding clothes can turn into tug of war or dress up with one little tug, many of your favorite hobbies get forgotten or at least put aside to make room for lots of peek-a-boo, sticky fingers and preschool shows played over and over until you start dreaming about them.  These changes I expected for the most part, I knew that I'd be setting aside a lot of things for these formative years with my kids and I was excited to do it because I knew all the joys that would replace them, what I hadn't expected was the effect it would have on my marriage, where our relationship was already good it became WONDERFUL, I can't even describe how amazing it felt to watch my husband hold our tiny baby boy and look at him with such pride and love and where it wasn't so great it got frustrating if not down right miserable like how hurt I felt when I realized that his expectations of what his job as a father were compared to mine and that my son liked his uncle better than his dad that first year.  (Things are great now though)

Looking back I could have avoided a lot of problems if someone had only told me this secret, my life felt a little like a roller coaster until I figured it out and then my DH and I were able adjust and now life is so much better than it was before kids, it is never boring with them around and they teach me every day, if DH was up for it I think I'd have ten of them, maybe more.  I greet them as they get up in the morning with a big smile and an enthusiastic "IT'S MY ...!!!!" not because I'm always feeling that awake and cheery but because they make every day interesting and I want to make sure that they know that I'm always excited to be with them and that to me being their mom is is the greatest privilege.


It just doesn't get better than this.

No comments: