Self Care

After the show today I got to thinking more about the importance of self care, not only for yourself but also for your loved ones, because if we don't take the time to care for ourselves by eating right, staying healthy, and taking a little time-out for ourselves then our families don't really get us they just get the shell of us. (And they don't get us for as long.) I know that I said on "Studio 5" that I don't like waling as one of my self care things but I have decided that I need to just start making it a priority because I take the effort to be careful about what goes into and onto my body and when I do actually get going I really do enjoy it. I guess I'll make it my New Years Resolution to walk for at least 15 minutes everyday. Now you all can hold me accountable to it.

I have to admit that for all my talking about the importance of self care, I have a hard time asking for it myself, before my son was born I had made a deal with my husband that I would get an hour everyday when he would take our son and I could do whatever I wanted. That went out the window the first day though when I couldn't even conceive leaving my son for even a second. The weeks and months went by and whenever I would get over stressed I would start off by yelling at my husband over little things until I would just break down and cry and then he would take my son for a few hours while I slept and took a bath and maybe even went out for a little while. After getting sick of this cycle my husband and I decided that it was time to go back to the hour break a day, without me asking for it, and it has been working out MUCH MUCH better ever since. I still take my "15 Minute Holidays" once or twice during the day so that I'm never too worn out when my husband gets home and he can take a break for a little bit before taking over.

So here is the question that I want to ask everyone is how do you do it and what do you do to recharge? I can't wait to here your comments and suggestions.

I also want to thank everyone at Studio 5 for allowing me to share my ideas and for being so great.

2 comments:

Holly said...

how do i recharge?? that's a good question! i have also fallen into the trap of just letting it all build up, freak out at my boyfriend, and then he'll take Xander for the day. it's a horrible cycle, but it's really hard for me to leave my son. but i will tell you that i did my little "15 minutes holiday" and meditated with my legs up on the couch like you demonstrated. it was SO relaxing... i fell asleep within a minute.. haha.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you liked it, it has saved me on many occasions. (Like today for instance) I hope that thereare more of you moms out there who are finding these thigs helpful and will start posting your comments also.